BAF Grant Program
Beckley Area Foundation
Beckley Area Foundation, Inc. makes annual discretionary grants to charitable organizations in the areas of education, health and human services, the arts, public recreation and civic beautification. Using the pooled income from its discretionary funds, BAF addresses the community's most pressing needs and promising opportunities.
A distribution committee reviews all proposals and makes recommendations to the Board of Director, who make the final decisions on all applications at its winter (February/March) meeting. Applicants will be notified as soon as possible about decisions regarding each grant request. If awarded a grant, the organization receives payment by submitting a request for the funds at least two weeks before the check is needed. Grantees are required to submit a final report to the Foundation upon completion of the funded project. Pictures suitable for use in BAF publications are also requested.
At the current time, no more than $7,000 per year will be awarded to a single organization through the discretionary grant process. The distribution committee tends to look favorably upon those requests that show additional sources of project funding. Due to limited funding, the Foundation is unlikely to approve many $7,000 grants; requests for lesser amounts are encouraged.
BAF places priority on the following types of projects:
The Foundation's staff welcomes the opportunity to discuss possible projects for funding by the Foundation. Please feel free to contact us at 304-253-3806.
- Innovative special projects not part of the ongoing maintenance or operation of the organization.
- Seed money for pilot projects or for new organization designed to respond to unmet or emerging community needs.
- Projects that either serves a significant number of residents or reach a group of under-served residents of Raleigh County.
- Capital and equipment needs.
- Matching grants to provide leverage for additional funding.
- Projects that empower organizations to obtain on-going financial support from other sources.
- Sudden or urgent needs where prior planning for such needs could not reasonably have been made.